page | | | | | | Ѵ >>
   
  Wihara  Phra Mongkhonbophit
           Pra Mongkhonbophit is an image of Buddha made of brick covered
with bronze and gilt. Its whole body is black as it was covered with black
lacquer. It is assumed that it was built in the reign of Somdej Phra
Chairacha in 1538 as a symbol Buddha image of Chichiang Temple and
was enshrined outdoor. Later on, King Song-Tham had the Buddha image
moved to the south-west of Wat Phra Sri Sanphet and kept it in the
pavilion, the Mondopa. In the reign of Phra Chao Sua, the Mondopa was
burnt down by a fire due to a thunderbolt, causing the lotus bud and the
right arm of the Buddha image to break down. Phra Chao Sua then had
the broken parts of the image restored. During the fall of Ayutthaya in
1767, the Wihara Mongkhon Bophit was badly burnt and the right arm
and the hair knot of the Buddha image were broken. In the reign of
King Rama V, Phraya Boranrachathanin who was the governor of
Ayutthaya during that time restored the image with stucco and gilt. In
1992, the Wihara Mongkhon Bophit was built to cover the image. This
image,in the attitude of subduing mara, is one of the biggest Buddha
  images in Thailand.
  The Royal Palace or the Ancient Royal Palace
 
      The Ancient Royal Palace in Ayutthaya can now be seen only the
old ruins of the building. It was assumed that it was constructed by
King U - Thong, who founded Ayutthaya when he was at Wiang Lek.
After the capital had been completed in 1353, he moved to the new
Royal Palace at Nong Sa No which is now Wat Phra Si Sanphet. At that
time all pavilions were made from wood. Later on in 1448, King Borom
Trai Lokanat dedicated the Royal Palace for Wat Phra Si Sanphet and
  had the new Royal Palace constructed at the north of the Lopburi River.
  Several pavilions built inside the Royal Palace which are now known as
  "The Ancient Royal Palace", situated next to the northern section of the
  city wall with a road passing through Chankasem Palace 2 kilometers
  away had been resided by every monarch during the Ayutthaya period.
  It is open daily from 8.30- 16.30 hrs. Call 035-242284 for further
  information.
   
  There are many important pavilions inside the Royal Palace
  as follows:-
  Wihara Somdet Pavilion is situated in the south of the Palace.The top
  of this pavilion is decorated in a unique style of architecture called Prang.
  It has longer space in front and rear gabled rooms, and shorter space in
  the side gabled rooms, surrounded by a glass wall on both sides.
  According to the chronicle, it was constructed by the command of King
  Prasat Thong in 1643 to replace the Mangkalaphisek pavilion which was
  burnt down by lightning fire. It was locally called ?Prasart Thong? because
  it was the first pavilion affixed with gold leaf which was used for various
  royal ceremonies.
  Sanphet-Prasat Pavilion This is the middle pavilion constructed in the
  same design as Wihan Somdet Pavilion. It had long porticoes at the front
  and was used as a reception pavilion for state visitors. On both sides of
  this pavilion were the stables of the white elephants.
  Suriyat Amarindra Pavilion was the building made from red stones
  with a three-gabled roof, located on the bank of the Chao Phraya River.
  It was formerly called ?Sariyamarin Pavilion? but its name was later
  changed to ?Sanphet Prasat Hall?. Its floor was lifted higher than
  Chakrwat-Phaichayon Pavilion King Prasat Thong built this pavilion in
  1632 and named it "Phra Thinang Siriyasothorn Mahaphimanbanyong"
  which sounds similar to the Anglor Wat. This name was afterwards
  changed to"Phra Thinang Chakrwat Phaichayon." It was a pavilion with
  a three-gabled roof, located on the inside wall of the Palace, and was
  used by the kings to view the processions and the military maneuvers,
  similar to the Putthai Sawan Pavilion at the Royal Palace in Bangkok.
  Tri Muk Pavilion is located behind the Sanphet Pasart Pavilion. Its
  year of construction is unknown but it is believed that it had been using
  as the garden house inside the royal inner court.
  Banyong Rattanat Pavilion (Tai Sra Pavilion) was a building with a
  four gabled roof, located on an island in a pond. It was built in 1688 by
  the command of King Phetha Racha who resided here throughout his
  reign. There was a royal seat where the king sat to watch his fish in the
  pond.
  Song Puen Pavilion Located beside the west pond, next to
  Banyong Rattana Pavilion. It was used as a place for performing a song
  rehearsal and a military maneuver. During the reign of Phra Phetha Racha,
  it was used as the hall of audience.
  Wat Chaiwattanaram

     This beautiful temple is located on the same side of Wat Putthaisawan
but to the west of Ko Muang. This monastery was built by the royal
command of King Prasat Thong as a memorial to his mother's land and
to celebrate for his coronation in 1630. The architectural style is
reminiscent of Khmer temples as the main pagoda, Pra Prang Sri
Mahathatu,was surrounded by small ones in 8 directions. It is assumed
that the relics of Lord Buddha or other sacred objects used to be kept in
in the main Prang. The ordination hall is located in the east of the Prang.
There are ruins of the principal Buddha image made of sandstone in
attitude of subduing mara and in the north ruins of the bases of the
three pagodas located the bone relics of Chao Fa Thammathibet
(Chaofa Kung Rattanakawi of Ayutthaya) Chao Sangwan and Chao Fa Nim,
the king's first concubine. It is now a deserted temple, but the main
  Prangs and Pagodas remain in good conditions.
  Wat Na Phramen


     Phra Ong-In had this monastery constructed in the reign of King
Ramathibodi II in 1503. Its original name was Wat Merurachikaram,
located on the bank of a lotus pond opposite the Royal Palace. In the
reign of King Mahachakapadi, he built the pavilion between Wat
Naphramen and Wat Hasadawas to use as a truce commitment with King
Burengnong. The architecture of this monastery is of early Ayutthaya
period, of which ordination hall does not have windows but narrow
rectangular holes. The principal bronze Buddha image was beautifully
decorated in regal attire in attitude of subduing mara, considered the
most beautiful.Its gabled roof is gilt teak carved into a picture of
Narayana God riding on a Garuda (mythical bird) catching Naga head,
surrounded by 26 goddesses. There were some Thai poem called
kaapyannii and kaapsuparb inscripted on the monk seats. Wat Na
Phramen was restored during the reign of King Rama III of Rattanakosin
period. At the small Wihara or Wihara Kiean, there were carved door
panels of the craftmen of the period of King Rama III. There were mural
paintings on the wall but currently many of them are blurred. There is
  also a sitting Buddha image in Tawarawadi period enshrined inside the
  temple.
  Wat Phanan Cherng
    Located on the Chaophraya riverbank in the south of the city.There is
no definite evidence regarding the founder or when the temple was
founded,but it was believed that it was built before Ayutthaya was
established.The large Buddha image in the Wihara called
"Phra Chao Phanan Cherng" was built in 1324. In 1854, King Rama IV
restored the image and re-named it "Phra Puttha Trairatana Nayok"
The image is a seated Buddha in the attitude of subduing mara and is
considered the oldest and largest seated Buddha image in Thailand with
  20.17 meters wide and 19 meters high from knees to head.
  Khum Khun Phaen
   Khum Khun Phaen consists of five Thai style houses located in the
south of Wihan Phra Mongkol Borphit, facing towards Sri Sanphet and
Patong Road in Pratoochai Sub-district. The name "Khum Khun Phaen"
is not related to ?Khum Khun Phaen? in the famous Thai literature.
The main purpose of building is to allow the young generations to study
Thai style houses such as Ruan Ake, Ruan Tho, Ho Phra,
Ho Nang and Krua Fai.
 
   
 
˹ | | | | | | Ѵ >>